At least six killed, including attacker, after stabbing incident at Sydney shopping centre

At least six people, including the alleged attacker, have been killed after a stabbing incident at a shopping centre in Sydney, Australia, on Saturday (Apr 13) afternoon, said the New South Wales police.

The incident took place at Bondi Junction Westfield shopping centre which was said to be crowded.

Emergency services were called to Westfield Bondi Junction just before 4:00 pm (local time) following reports of multiple people stabbed, said the police, in a statement. “A critical incident has commenced following the shooting of male at Bondi Junction,” it added.

The NSW police later confirmed that five people had been killed after a knife attack and nine people, including a baby, had been stabbed and taken to a number of hospitals across the city.

The police said that the alleged attacker was in the shopping centre around 3:00 pm (local time) before he left for around 20 minutes and came back with a knife.

The man was fatally shot by an officer who was nearby, said NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Anthony Cooke. “She (the officer) confronted the offender who had moved by this stage to level five as she continued to walk quickly behind him to catch up with him,” he said.

“He turned faced her raised a knife. She discharged a firearm and that person is now deceased,” Cooke added. He also said that early investigations suggest the man acted alone and that there is no ongoing threat.

“I am content that there is no continuing threat,” said the NSW police official, adding that there is no information in relation to the offender.

The police have said that there was no clear motive behind the attack. “There’s nothing that we are aware of at the scene that would indicate any motive or any ideology,” said Cooke.

One shopper named Adriana told state broadcaster ABC News was with her two daughters at a beauty store when they heard gunshots.
“All of a sudden the front doors were closed and in a matter of seconds we heard some gunshots and got sent to the storage room at the back of the shop. There were about 30 or 40 people there,” she said.

“Everyone was screaming, crying, trying to call their relatives. It was an horrific experience,” Adriana told ABC News.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese took to X and said that he had been briefed after the incident by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in Canberra.

“I have been briefed by the AFP on the devastating events at Bondi Junction. Tragically, multiple casualties have been reported and the first thoughts of all Australians are with those affected and their loved ones,” said the Australian PM, in a post.

He added, “Our hearts go out to those injured and we offer our thanks to those caring for them as well as our brave police and first responders.”

NSW Premier Chris Minns, who was in Japan for a family holiday, said he was returning to the city immediately. “I am horrified to hear about the events at Bondi Junction this afternoon,” he said, in a statement.

He added, “I am making immediate arrangements to return to Sydney. I want to thank NSW Police, emergency services and first responders and the community for their bravery in the face of this shocking incident.”

Read Previous

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle celebrate polo match win with a sweet kiss

Read Next

Harishchandra Ghadge and Pratibha Ghadge, owners of Ghadge Travels in Kandivali Charkop, threatened corporator Sandhya Doshi, builder Vipul Doshi and Nitin Gawkar to grab the office of a Marathi man.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular